February 24, 2016 || 6:00-8:00pm
122 South Michigan Ave, 13th Floor, Room 1323, Chicago, IL 60603
The Chicago Institute for Psychoanalysis offers several education programs for mental health professionals at all career levels. Institute leaders will discuss the features and goals of the different programs. Explore which program may help you meet your professional goals.
- Adult & Child Psychoanalytic Training
- Adult & Child Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy Training
- Psychoanalysis for Scholars (CORST)
- Opportunities to develop foundational knowledge and understanding of psychoanalytic theory and practice
The Chicago Institute for Psychoanalysis presents an innovative series of talks about contemporary psychoanalytic thinking and practice. Five eminent faculty members will provide a picture of psychoanalysis today as a way of understanding individual lives and the social world. Mental health professionals, scholars and the interested public will gain a deeper appreciation of the relevance and usefulness of psychoanalysis to life today.
This series will be held at 122 South Michigan Ave, Chicago, Ilinois 60603 - 2nd floor Auditorium || Fee: $25 per lecture or $100 for Series of Five (1.5 CE Credits per lecture)
Upcoming Psychoanalysis Today Events:
- February 10, 2016 at 7:00pm - 8:30pm || Subjectivity in an Objectified World with Frank Summers, PhD || Psychoanalytic values derive from the power of subjectivity, which is in opposition to the objectivism and materialism of the everyday world. What are the consequences of this conflict for the individual, for psychoanalysis and for the everyday world? Dr. Summers will elaborate the contributions of the psychoanalytic worldview for the life of the contemporary American.
- March 9, 2016 at 7:00pm - 8:30pm || Psychoanalysis and Neuroscience with Virginia Barry, MD || The bottom line of Freud’s radical theorizing is that we do not know ourselves, meaning that the mind generates powerful wishes that are repressed—shut down—before we become aware of them. Yet much of what we do and think is shaped by these unconscious impulses. At this exciting moment, psychoanalysis and neuroscience are exploring subjectivity and how memories, feelings, fantasies, consciousness, unconsciousness, and dreams emerge from the organic matter of the brain and body. Dr. Barry will present findings from the new field of “neuropsychoanalysis.”
Upcoming Distance Learning Continuing Education Courses:
All courses are virtual. Fees vary.
- Online Clinical Case Seminar - Fridays, January 29, February 5, 12, 19, 26, March 4, 11, 18, 25, April 1, 2016 at 3:00pm - 4:30pm (CT) || Treatment of Trauma: An Internet-Based Clinical Seminar with Suzanne Rosenfeld, MD and Ed Kaufman, MSW, LCSW, BCD (For Licensed Clinicians)
- Online Course - February 16, 2016 at 7:30pm (CT) || Psychoanalytic Understanding of War-Related Trauma with R. Dennis Shelby, PhD and Michael Miller, MSW, PhD
Upcoming Cinema on the Couch Film Discussions:
All series will meet at the Takiff Center - 999 Greenbay Rd, Glencoe, IL || Fee:$20 per film.
- February 21, 2016 2:00pm - 5:00pm || CitizenFour || Neurine Wiggin, PsyD - Discussant
- March 20, 2016 2:00pm - 5:00pm || Still Mine || Caryle Perlman, MS - Discussant
- April 17, 2016 2:00pm - 5:00pm || Fruitvale || Joshua Kellman, MD - Discussant
- May 15, 2016 2:00pm - 5:00pm || Cyrus || Phil Lebovitz, MD - Discussant
The Chicago Institute for Psychoanalysis is a not-for-profit organization founded in 1932. Our mission is to provide professional training in the theory and practice of psychoanalysis and psychotherapy and to enhance psychodynamic study through research and scholarship. We also seek to apply these principles to therapeutic services for the public, offering treatment for children and adults at reduced fees, to the benefit of underserved communities.
Visitors can access information about our clinical services to adults and children with the "Therapeutic Services" menu above. Information about our various training and educational programs is under the "Professional Training" menu. To find out more about our panels, seminars, and other upcoming events, please use the "Upcoming Events" menu. Thank you for visiting.
Faculty and students can access course-related materials with the login form to the right.
To learn more about the Institute, please view the new 2014 Institute video.
Are you an alum of the Chicago Institute for Psychoanalysis? If so, please update your contact information and fill out our brief survey here.
Thank you to all of our generous donors, we greatly appreciate your support. CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE DONOR LIST.